Sri Lankan police under pressure to stem drug smugglingApr 23, 5:11 pm
Colombo, Apr 23 (Xinhua-ANI): Sri Lankan police are searching for a British national suspected of smuggling hashish into the country as authorities come under pressure to stem increasing drug trade, a spokesman said here on Monday.Following the end of a three decade war, Sri Lanka is experiencing a massive tourism boom. However, the downside of this is that the country has become a magnet for drug smuggling , with Thai, Philippine and Pakistani nationals being arrested over the last few months.In the latest incident, according to police 365 grams of hashish was smuggled in three bundles of magazines by two foreigners, one of whom was arrested by the police. "We are continuing investigations and hope to arrest the British national soon," police spokesman Ajith Rohana told Xinhua.According to Police Narcotics Bureau statistics, 23 kilos of heroin, 10 kilos of cocaine, 18 kilos of hashish and 50,000 kilos of cannabis was taken into custody in 2011.Last week officials arrested two Thai women that had swallowed 160 small capsules containing 1,489 grams of cocaine. Most of the drugs are believed to be sold to tourists, causing more concern for law enforcement authorities. (Xinhua-ANI)
California to have first-of-its-kind 'Yes means yes' law to protect women from rapes Aug 30, 2:11 pm
Washington, Aug 30 (ANI): California legislature has recently sent the governor the first law of its kind called the 'yes means yes', which has been designed to reduce sexual assaults.Full Story »
Kurdish forces recapture oilfields from IS militants in northern Iraq Aug 30, 2:11 pm
London, Aug 30 (ANI): Kurdish forces claimed that they have recaptured oilfields from Islamic State (IS) militants in northern Iraq near Mosul.Full Story »
Pak army's involvement in ongoing political crisis signals 'soft coup' in country: Report Aug 30, 2:01 pm
Washington, Aug 30 (ANI): Pakistan may have transitioned to a democratically elected government from military dictatorship, but the recent political crisis and subsequent intervention by the army is a sign that the country is still under its control.Full Story »
Average White Americans have only one percent blacks in friend circle Aug 30, 2:01 pm
Washington, Aug 30 (ANI): According to a study by the Public Religion Research Institute, only one percent of an average white American's friends are blacks while 91 percent of them are whites.Full Story »
- BNP reschedules human chain for September 2
- Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC job to 'prepare for motherhood'
- ISIS shadow forces UK to raise terror threat level from 'substantial' to 'severe'
- Pak govt asked military to play role of 'facilitator' not 'mediator', claims Nisar
- UN chief calls Syria displacement 'biggest humanitarian emergency of era'
- Pak army confirms played role of 'facilitator' on behest of Sharif govt
- IMF backs Lagarde despite investigation in corruption charges
- Nawaz Sharif blames PTI, PAT for talks with Pak army
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 30 pc staff in wake of dual air tragedies
- Syrian conflict sparks off civil war among terrorist groups: Report
TOP VIDEO STORIES