Ex-South African president says Mandela was 'brutal and unfair' opponent, not 'holy man'Apr 10, 10:45 am
Johannesburg, Apr 10 (ANI): South Africa's last white ruler, FW de Klerk, has said Nelson Mandela was a 'brutal and unfair' political opponent and not a 'holy man'.Klerk, 76, said the anti-apartheid hero was a principled man of 'stature and strength,' attributable to his aristocratic upbringing in a royal family of the Xhosa tribe.'But he was not as saintly as he seemed', Klerk, who in 1993 jointly won a Nobel Peace Prize with Mandela, said in a speech about world leaders he has known at a club in Johannesburg, The Telegraph reports."I do not subscribe to the general hagiography surrounding Mandela," the former President said, reflecting on their tense negotiations over democratic reforms. "He was by no means the avuncular and saint like figure so widely depicted today," Klerk added.The country's ruling African National Congress party spokesperson Keith Khoza said Klerk was poisoning South Africa with his remarks about Mandela.According to The New Age newspaper, he said that Klerk could not acknowledge Mandela's bravery because he is black."De Klerk should acknowledge Mandela and his achievements and understand that his time has passed as a president," the paper quoted Khoza, as saying. (ANI)
Indo-US nuclear deal detrimental to deterrence stability in South Asia: Pakistan Jan 27, 10:52 pm
Islamabad, Jan. 27 (ANI): Pakistan on Tuesday said the operationalization of the Indo-US nuclear deal for political and economic expediencies would have a detrimental impact on deterrence stability in South Asia.Full Story »
Nato slams Putin's remarks on 'foreign legion' in Ukraine Jan 27, 6:21 pm
London, Jan 27 (ANI): Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has rebuffed Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim that the Ukrainian army operates as a "foreign legion" for the alliance, calling it "nonsense".Full Story »
Ex-diplomat Placido D'Souza mourns loss of cartoonist R.K. Laxman Jan 27, 5:18 pm
San Francisco (US), Jan.27(ANI): Former diplomat and artist Placido D'Souza has expressed his sorrow over the passing away of well known cartoonist R.K. Laxman, whom he described as a good friend and a man who had helped him in many ways.Full Story »
Obama leading high-powered delegation to Saudi Arabia Jan 27, 4:44 pm
New Delhi/Washington, Jan.27 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama will be leading a high profile bipartisan delegation to Saudi Arabia to offer condolences for the recent death of King Abdullah and pay respects to his successor King Salman.Full Story »
- 10 killed as F-16 fighter jet crashes into other planes during Nato exercise
- Newly mom Chelsea Clinton opens up about 'motherhood'
- President Obama following wrong David Cameron on Twitter!
- US assures Pak TTP Chief Mullah Fazlullah will be arrested, killed in Afghanistan
- Now, Mumbai mastermind Hafiz Saeed opens free ambulance service in futile bid to win legitimacy
- UN-ESCAP is working for Afghanistan`s growth and sustenance
- Man behind White House drone crash incident claims was a 'recreational accident'
- Villa where Dodi wooed Princess Diana sold for 70M pounds
- Malaysian Airlines' official website hacked by ' Lizard Squad Cyber Caliphate' group
- FBI busts Russian spy ring trying to gather intelligence on US sanctions against Russia
TOP VIDEO STORIES